Friday 13 December 2013

DBA IV/39 Navarrese

Despite already having an excessive lead mountain as previously stated, I still couldn't resist acquiring another three unpainted DBA armies from eBay for $A125.60.  Yes, it is an obsession!

I now have the following additional armies: Navarrese (IV/39), Feudal English (IV/23) and Post Mongol Russian  (IV/44).

I already had a painted Feudal English force, but wanted to get another to enable me to refight the period of English history, referred to as the Anarchy, where Stephen fought Matilda for control of the English crown.  

Unlike previous similar acquisitions, these will go straight to the front of the painting queue and the first of these new armies to be painted will be the Navarrese.

The figures for the Navarrese are of 'Essex' manufacture and the seller quite rightly alerted any prospective bidder that additional figures would be required to field the (a), (b) and (c) variants of this army.  Fortunately that didn't present as a difficulty for me, as a search of what I have on hand revealed all of the additional requirements to enable me to field this army with all of its options when painted.

I normally paint 15mm figures by cleaning the figures of any flash and mould lines, before temporarily attaching them to tongue depressors for priming and painting.  The tongue depressors are readily available from any craft store like 'Riot'.

This is an approach adopted by a lot of gamers however, for this army, I have decided to try a new technique and instead of using tongue depressors, the figures will be attached to the final base for priming and painting.  Similarly, I normally apply a black primer, however I intend to apply a dark brown primer instead.  This should reduce time spent painting both horse flesh and the base coat of the visible flesh of the infantry and knights.  It will also serve as a base coat on the bases, prior to flocking.







 


3 comments:

  1. I know what your mean or how you feel about purchasing DBA armies. I have collected/purchased/given as gifts over a 15 year period 22 15mm Essex packs! I manage to paint 14 DBA army packs during this year... I also paint my 15's on their bases, spray black or white under coat first, then block paint the miniatures areas where I missed spraying..
    anyway.. looking forward reading more posts about your DBA armies etc.
    happy New year!

    cheers,
    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops...that should be 22 15mm Essex "Army" packs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting and the encouragement Phil, very impressive painting accomplishment!

    Regards
    Steve

    ReplyDelete