Wednesday 11 December 2013

Towards 2014!

The commencement of this blog reflects my new approach to wargaming.

Over the years, I have accumulated more unpainted lead than anyone else I know.  This virtual lead mountain has gone unchecked until this time last year, when, over a week, I sorted through it, bagged the figures and created an inventory for ease of retrieval with the help of my wife.

Following the sale of my apartment in Brisbane's West End, we moved into a house where I am fortunate enough to be able to allocate a room to my hobby.

I now have no further excuses, 2014 needs to be the year that the lead mountain is mined and useable, painted wargaming figures produced whilst I still am able to do so! Along the way, I will record my progress using this blog to ensure I remain on track.

Secondarily, I want to game more regularly.  I have committed to attend both Cancon (held in Canberra in January) and MOAB (held in Sydney in October) to play DBA in 2014.  I need to get some practice games in before each event for the sake of my ego!  This is something I haven't done previously and suffered the consequences.

Whilst in the UK in 2012, I got hooked on Saga, a rule set for dark age skirmish encounters and have over the ensuing year, acquired two rival factions of 28mm Normans and Anglo Saxons.  I have shied away from using plastic figures, instead I have sourced both factions from 'Gripping Beast' and 'Crusader'.  I have used 'War and Peace Games', located on the Central Coast of NSW, in this endeavour and recommend them!

These 28mm figures are on the painting bench awaiting cleaning prior to priming.

Last month, we visited Gettysburg in Pennsylvania.  This experience rekindled my interest in the American Civil War.  I meet John Zabawa, who operates 'Gettysburg Miniature Soldiers'.  John is a re-enactor and he put me on to some of the most accurate 10mm resin buildings I have ever seen.  These buildings depict the farms surrounding Gettysburg and are sold under the business name of 'Buildings in Turmoil'.

Whilst at Gettysburg, we visited the 'Victorian Photo Studio' operated by Patricia and Del.  Patricia took our photo using 1860s era wet plate photography.  It was a great experience!        
   

No comments:

Post a Comment