Tuesday 24 December 2013

Up date

My all options New Kingdom Egyptian DBA army (DBA I/22ab) has been re-based and is awaiting flocking, as is my Middle Assyrian DBA army (DBA I/25).

The Early Bedouin (DBA I/6) option (c) is based and the unpainted figures are awaiting priming and then painting on the element bases.  I had sufficient figures to be able to morph this option of the army list to include option (b) though I am, presently restricted to running the 3Cm (General).  I need to get an Auxilia general which will not only expand my command element options but will also enable me to run the (a) option of the army list.

Whilst working on this side project, I discovered I only needed eleven more Essex Nubian archers in order for me to be able to field another DBA army, Nubians (DBA I/3) bow option.  An interesting army, as in this variant it is comprised of nine bow, including the general and two war band elements.  It certainly does not present as a balanced open competition army, but will fit in well as opponents for the New Kingdom Egyptians.

Cancon 2014 is approaching and the latest report indicates about 15 registered players including a junior.

I will have to consider which two armies I will take.  This competition is run over two days, the first day, the players are restricted to fielding armies which appear in Books I and II.  The second day sees armies from Book III and IV being run.

The difficulty for me is to run two balanced armies which respond to the distinct challenges presented on each day, such as chariots and spears on the first day and knights and bows on the second.

At this stage, the second day of competition might see my Cham (DBA III/23) facing their inaugural game.  Potentially this is a good army to go up against the knight/bow combination which could be expected.  It has two elephants, which if nothing more will cause a distraction to a lot of players, some bad gooding troops, in the form of four Auxilia, and two bow elements, but the one blade element can only be fielded at the cost of the artillery element.

In the interim, I wish all who happen by a happy festive season!      

3 comments:

  1. Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year!!

    cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Cham sound an interesting army. The elephants should cause some issues for some armies. Watch out for bombards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, historically a Cham army would be more likely to be equipped with ballistas mounted on elephants, hence the artillery element. The blade option representing the uniquely shaped phak'ak is more likely to have been used by the Khmer.

    ReplyDelete